Friday, February 8, 2008

Using Craigslist to Find Jobs

Craigslist.org can be a good resource to find current jobs especially the rare private practice or small agency job with limited openings. It can be discouraging when you don't know where the jobs postings are and what to search for. I have learned a few important tips in my own search:

1) It's best to use a combination of searching and browsing the "nonprofit" job section to find out what's available.

2) Searching just for "MFTI" or "MFT Intern" misses a lot of jobs.

Many employers don't put "MFT Intern" in their list of qualifications but instead say "MFT license or license eligible" (or "registered with the BBS"). Good search terms are: mft intern, mfti, therapy, psychotherapy, counseling, BBS, license eligible, etc.

2) A lot of postings can be found by browsing the "nonprofit jobs" category.

You have to wade through a lot of jobs that are not relevant to you but this consistently brings up jobs that don't come out in the searches.

3) There are jobs posted in other categories.

One of the best opportunities I found on craigslist was for an MFT psychoanalytic private practice internship that was entered in the therapeutic services section not the jobs section. This is why it's important to do the searches as well as browsing.

1 comment:

MovieSiren said...

Hello,
I am have my BA in Psych from SSU and want to change careers someday to become an MFT--your post has given me some hope that when I am ready to go back to grad school, I can find an internship to help pay the bills!